Senior UX Designer at Data 61
An expert in research, design and user experience for social impact, Cameron has delivered projects for clients in foreign development, health and disability care, education, intellectual property, legal, emergency services, geospatial, environmental management, meteorology and water conservation.
Cameron joined NICTA, now Data61, in 2014 to work with researchers, business teams and software engineers on a wide range of data-driven projects, from platforms for open data and digital public service delivery, to geospatial, machine learning, optimisation and computer vision.
YOW! Data 2016 Sydney
The Why and How of Why in a World of What
All data exists in context, and understanding that context is key to unlocking its potential. In this talk you will learn how we consciously and unconsciously influence the context of data, and how qualitative and quantitative methods can be combined to better interpret and extract insights from data.
The presentation will cover:
- What data in context means
- How bias and interpretation affect data collection, data analysis, and the design of data-driven applications
- The importance of combining quantitative data with qualitative insights; data tells you “what”, whereas qualitative insights tell you “why”
- Lessons learned from five years and over 15 data-driven projects
- A framework for connecting the “why” to the “what”